Wednesday, March 24, 2010

quick update

Per Heidi's request, I shall post of my triathlon experience...

On Sat, Feb 27 I competed in my first triathlon! It was in Los Alamitos and was called the "Race on the Base." I was super-excited--especially since the weather had been gorgeous for the previous two weeks. As luck would have it, however, the weather turned sour on the day of the race and it started raining right before my race started. And it rained the whole time--right up until I was ready to jump in the pool for the swimming portion. (Oh yeah, this was a reverse triathlon--running, biking, then swimming. I'm not a strong swimmer, but the swim was super-short so I figured it couldn't be that brutal...)

So I knew the 5K run would be the easiest part for me, but I told myself that I would take it easy so as to not tire myself out. That didn't happen. Because I am so competitive, I ended up running my fastest 5K ever! Kind of exciting, too, I guess :)

The biking was the hardest because it was pouring and there was a strong headwind. It took me 43 min to bike 12 miles. When I finally jumped into the pool for the short 200m swim I was pretty tired. I ended up breast stroking part of it. But I was pleased with my time: 1:12:27. I finished 6th in my age division and was the 30th woman finisher (out of 325). I placed 228/762 )overall. Not bad! And it was so rewarding--I totally want to do another one! (Maybe sometime when I have more time to train because I'm not bogged down with all the law school stuff!)


(not the best pics, but you get the idea)

As for other news--I am studying abroad in Mexico and China this summer! I'll be in Mexico City for 3 weeks and will hopefully get an externship at a Mexican law firm. I'll only be in Nanjing, China for 2 weeks, but I'm super-excited. I'll get a total of 7 or 8 school credits this summer!

Annnnnnnnnd, I am for sure coming to Utah for Conference! I'm hoping to attend either the Sat morning or Sat afternoon session at the Conference Center. I would love to meet up with anyone who will be there also!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh wow! You are having such great adventures! I'm SO glad you'll be in Utah Conference weekend. I'll actually be down in Provo Saturday morning - will you be making it that far down? If not, we'll figure something out. I think that Calista and Natalie will be in Provo, too, right? Yay, I'm so excited to see you!!